Saturday, February 27, 2010

WHAT ARE YOU DOING THE REST OF YOUR LIFE?

What ARE you doing the rest of your life?

I do hope you are making time for music ~ listening, learning, singing, playing ~ whatever pleases you. With today's technology we can have music anytime anywhere. I frequently see my neighbors walking with headphones on, smiles on their faces. Of course, I don't really know what they are listening to. Maybe it a series of jokes, or maybe a book on tape. But I like to think they are keeping cadence to a favorite selection of music.

Michel Legrand who wrote the song "What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your LIfe" was born in France in the early 1900's. He was enrolled in Paris Conservatory at the age of ten ( I think. I am doing this from memory of a bio I read recently so my data may be flawed.) He was given a ticket to a Dizzy Gillespie concert at and claimed that from that moment on he was hooked on jazz.

His music is frequently strangely minor and haunting, but then he wrote "Gingerbread Man" which is upbeat and clever. His "Windmill of Your Mind" reminds me of a Chopin etude, an exercise in paying attention and keeping the music moving. LeGrand's music is available in Hal Leonard books both E-Z Play* and regular piano/vocal/guitar. LeGrand worked with lyricists, frequently Alan and Marilyn Bergman. "What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life" is a beautiful love song. I end this commentary with the last words "All I ever will recall of my life is all of my life with you." and dedicate it to all of my friends who love music.

Tomorrow is the 28th of February, the 45th birthday of my youngest son. He was born on a Sunday so this is a significant birthday in that sense - 45 exact years. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOM!

Trivia Quiz This Week is on Broadway:
What musical had a character called Jubilation T. Cornpone?
a) Oklahoma b) L'il Abner c) Carousel

What ALWebber musical was Norma Desmond as the name of a lead character? a) Evita b)Phantom of the Opera c)Sunset Blvd.

From which musical is "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out Of My Hair?
a( Chicago b) So. Pacific c) Applause

What was the only B'way musical in which Katherine Hepburn appeared?
a) Applause b) 42nd Street c) Coco

What musical took place in Scotland?
a) Finian's Rainbow b) Evita c) Brigadoon

What musical starred the unlikely duo of Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin?
a) Oklahoma b) Dirty Dozen c) Paint Your Wagon

What musical is about inmates of "murderer's row"?
a) Avenue Q b) Chicago c) Rent

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." Angela Monet.

Now who was Angela Monet? I don't know. All I could find out she was not the artist's second wife, who was Alice. But I like the thought anyway.


Answers (why is there a "w" in that word?) to trivia:
(b) (c) (b) (c) (c) (c) (b)

*E-Z Play Book #176

As I end this blog I am hearing the latest news of the devastating earth quake which rattled Chile this morning. All Pacific Islands and coastal areas are preparing for the tsunamis which are expected to follow. Please join me in prayer for the people who are being affected by this tragic event.

Keep a song in your heart and keep the music playing.

jem












No comments:

Post a Comment