Monday, June 14, 2010

A MULLIGAN PLEASE ~

I NEED A DO -OVER, PLEASE
I missed the boat completely this week. Today, the 14th of June, is Flag Day.
In these uncertain times it would be remiss of me to neglect this special day honoring our country's standard.

For more than 200 years the Stars and Stripes with (with a star for every state)
has been our national symbol. In recent years it has been desecrated by those who would scorn it's representation of Purity (white) Blue (vigilance) and Red (valor). It was in 1776 that Betsy Ross reported she had sewed the first American flag.

I believe every school child should salute the flag daily. But then, I still think children should be exposed to a moment of thoughtful devotion every day. I believe the words to the Star Spangled Banner should be regularly sung and other patriotic songs should be a part of the assembly programs and music classes across the country.

What is more inspiring than the aspect of a red,white and blue flag waving "o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave"? or "You're a Grand Old Flag ..you're a high flying flag" ~ "There's a star spangled banner waving somewhere..."

This is my country, land that I love ....
This land is your land, this land is my land ....

If these songs are not taught in school I hope the Boy and Girl Scout leaders are using them around the camp fire. (Do they still do campfires?)

Since my purpose is to encourage music at every opportunity, I might suggest our group - and yours - have a patriotic music event. It would certainly be inspiring.

Please, keep the flag waving, keep a song in your heart and keep the music playing.

thanks for the do-over. jem

No comments:

Post a Comment